Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 7, 2011

The Two Hemispheres of the Brain








Metacognition is a term used in the science of reading.  It is an unfamiliar word to people not involved directly in the academic discipline of Reading.  It may be defined as knowing ourselves as thinkers and learners and constantly monitoring how we think and learn.  It is the means by which we take charge of our intellect.  Part of knowing ourselves includes understanding which lobe of our brain is dominant, the
 left or right hemisphere.  Much has been written about brain lobe dominance.

When exploring this topic, it is important to make note of the word dominance. As we reflect on this topic we need to remember that while most of us have a dominant lobe, the other hemisphere is not asleep.  This self-knowledge can inform us of how we solve problems and how we look at the world.  If we know this, we can better direct our activities.  The influence of brain hemisphere dominance affects not only our intellectual activities but also our social personalities.  It is helpful for us to know this aspect of our essential selves.

I first considered brain lobe dominance more than twenty years ago.  I have always been involved in artwork.  In 1980, Betty Edwards, a teacher first at Venice High School, CA then, at community colleges and finally in the UC university system published a book entitled, Drawing On The Right Side of The Brain.  I read the book as an artist who is always trying to improve my drawing skills and to look at new approaches to creating art.  Later, I realized the brain hemisphere/lobe dominance also affects learning in general, not just the making of art.  I have always used this as a component of my teaching.

Lately, there is much in the news about the importance of different areas of the brain.  Recall, Congresswoman Gabby Giffords of Arizona.  She was shot right through the brain, with the bullet going into her forehead and coming out at the other side of her skull.  Dr, Sanjay Gupta  (a practicing brain surgeon) who also works as a health commentator for CNN did an informative program regarding Congresswoman Giffords’
healing progress and the effect of the damage to her brain’s left  hemisphere.  Research on people with early onset of Alzheimer’s disease also studies the brain activity of the two hemispheres.  Returning soldiers from the mid-East have unfortunately, suffered serious brain injuries.  Knowing the tasks of both of the hemispheres helps rehab of these ‘wounded warriors’.

Some researchers believe that there is a link between right or left brain hemisphere dominance and right or left handedness. There maybe, but there are many other factors involved.

I am right handed and I was brought up with a heavy emphasis on left brain intellectual activity.  However, I have also been involved in art since an early age.  I had a double major as an undergraduate of history and mathematics, but I also took art courses at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston since I was in the sixth grade.  When I take hemisphere dominance tests, I often come out almost balanced.  For me, I think it is evidence of nurture over nature.  My family had high expectations for me to perform intellectually, my spirit wanted to paint and dance.  So, I am definitely a hybrid re: brain hemisphere activity.  That could be you, also. I mention this because one or two tests indicate a trend they do not always reveal the total picture.  They are valuable because they tell us more about ourselves.

The right side of the brain controls muscles on the left side of the body and the left side of the brain controls muscles on the right side of the body. Also, in general, sensory information from the left side of the body crosses over to the right side of the brain and information from the right side of the body crosses over to the left side of the brain. Therefore, damage to one side of the brain will affect the opposite side of the body.
In 95% of right-handers, the left side of the brain is dominant for language. Even in 60-70% of left-handers, the left side of brain is used for language. Back in the 1860s and 1870s, two neurologists (Paul Broca and Karl Wernicke) observed that people who had damage to a particular area on the left side of the brain had speech and language problems. People with damage to these areas on the right side usually did not have any language problems. The two language areas of the brain that are important for language now bear their names: Broca's area and Wernicke's area.
(
From the website Neuroscience for Kids – check this out – TERRIFIC REFERENCES.)

If you are interested in reading more about this I have two recommendations from the internet.  One, I highly recommend; the other is worth reading.  Here are the urls for both.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Differences Between Left and Right Hemispheres at
http://frank.mtsu.edu/-studskl/hd/hemis.html

This website has many components: Difference Between Left and Right Hemisphere; Hemisphere Dominance Inventory; Left vs. Right Which Side are You On?  This site defines the concept and gives a test which is scored immediately.  It gives you a personalized picture of your brain hemisphere dominance.

WORTH READING: An excellent student paper entitled,
Left and Right SIDES OF THE BRAIN: Which is your dominant side?  This is found at the Serendipity site.  The url is:
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1733
This paper gives an interesting history and discussion of
the brain dominance theory. 

I am always trying to follow Socrates’ admonition, “Know thyself.”  Finding out your brain hemisphere inclinations increases your personal knowledge bank.  I hope you will take the Hemisphere Dominance Survey and get your score.  It only takes a few minutes.

How do you consider yourself: right or left hemisphere dominant? 
Or a hybrid?  
Humans are always fascinating subjects to learn about.
  What are your thoughts?
  Please share them.
Dr. CW

2 comments:

  1. I was unable to access site mentioned. I went to another site Hemispheric Dominance Inventory Test. My right brain answered 7 questions. My left brain answered 11 questions. My cognitive processing was recorded as linear(logical progression), Sequential (order from first to last), Symbolic (symbols as pictures), Logical (piece by piece to solve problem, Verbal (thoughts and ideas with words), Reality-Based (focuses on rules and regulations). This was very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say that I am a hybrid. I am very intellectual but I am very creative and I can come up with great art designs rather quickly. Being in charge of a drumline and being responsible for they're drill for indoor, I have to some up with shapes and designs with a certain number of people in seconds. I am also required to know many fundamental rhythms which takes a lot of studying.

    ReplyDelete