Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

VOCABULARY - Expanding your base





Vocabulary Development as an Integral Component of Reading and Writing

Language is first developed by hearing others speak, by observing what the people are speaking about; by making associations between sounds and concrete objects.

Reading is first developed by decoding written or printed marks on paper and making meaning of those marks and by assigning experiential sounds to those marks.  Chimpanzees can be taught to recognize and associate simple words with concrete objects.  Dolphins communicate through sonar.

Humankind learns language best in a group, through shared experiences, and by using as many of the five senses as possible.  Hearing a word is critical to knowing and understanding the word.  Therefore, the optimal approach to developing vocabulary is to have the learning experience occur in a climate where voices are heard, and opinions exchanged and respected.

Project Based Learning is one approach to providing a climate for students to hear as well as see new words, new concepts to educate, inform and entertain themselves.  Whether or not a teacher chooses to use a project based teaching approach is up to the individual teacher.  Any group learning environment where students have the opportunity to hear a word, to research together the meanings of a word, to create sentences, and stories and poems, and song lyrics using the word will have the outcome of individual student Ownership of a word.

Paulo Freire emphasized the importance of OWNING a word. It is a foundation principle in Freirean literacy programs in Brazil, Africa, Latin America, and in the U.S.  Memorizing a word simply ‘rents out’ the word to the student for one objective test; without use, the word is forgotten a week later. Students must “use it or lose it”. Authentic vocabulary development only occurs when learners OWN a word. The ownership is evidenced by correct usage of the word in conversation, written work, and critical reading of material.

Learning and/or memorizing vocabulary out of context for a short range goal – passing a quiz or test – is not the way to vocabulary ownership.

Students need to READ words in context; students need to WRITE words they want to own: first in sentences, then, in paragraphs, then in both expository and creative writing.  But, first, students need to HEAR, to tune in, to actively listen to the word and words they need to own to achieve academic success.

Consider an ideal vocabulary learning environment that utilizes all five senses:

Hearing:  Teacher modeling, student conversation, excepts from recorded books, poetry readings, popular song lyrics,  iTunes, You Tube, recorded ‘white noise’ while doing an assignment.

Seeing:    Hard copy written material, books, handouts, brochures, pamphlets, e-books, browser pages, texting, advertising.

Touching:  Opportunities to create words through games, eg. Scrabble, Hangman, word manipulatives, puzzles.

Tasting:            Teaching students the necessity of hydration for brain activity.  Drinking water before any intellectual task.  In addition, supplying fruit or hard candy during group work.

Smelling:     A little hard to insert into a learning environment, but at least try not to have negative disconcerting odors present

What are some words that you like to hear?
What are some words that you like to see on the printed page?
What is a word that is your endearment for your favorite person?
What is the emotional connotation of the word, WHATEVER.?
What is the correct grammatical usage of the word, WHATEVER?
What is the influence of TEXTING on your spelling, your vocabulary, your written communication??? 

6 comments:

  1. I think the word I like hearing is "amazing!" I am always amazed by the amazing things that amaze us! My favorite printed word is "superfluous". The most endearing word for me is "credibilty". I think a person's credibility speaks highly about his integrity. "Oh, whatever!" The ultimate "blow off" word! Whatever happens, I will try my best. I have trouble enough writing. Now when I text, I all but create another language with my own volcabulary! :) Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, TONY,

    I ENJOYED READING YOUR COMMENTS. I LIKE THE SOUND OF WORDS WITH THE LS BLENDED, I HAVE A DAUGHTER NAMED ILSE. SOME VOCABULARY PEOPLE SAY THAT CINDERELLA HAS SOUND COMBOS THAT PEOPLE RESPOND TO.

    DR, CW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate vocabulary tremendously. It seems I am always criticizing myself for not being able to think of a certain word and put it to good use. Some words I enjoy hearing are new words, and words with alot of 's' sounds in it such as 'superstitious' and 'sustenance'. My favorite printed word would have to be 'inquisitive'. My word for endearment would be 'compassion' because understanding, kind, loving individuals are often not appreciated anymore, and I appreciate them a whole lot. 'Whatever' used emotionally to describe say an angry girlfriend is one of my pet peeves. It ends the conversation with a negative unresolved connotation. Its grammatical use is 'Whatever is the matter?' or 'Whatever you do, don't back up."
    I have always viewed texting as the end to human communication, and it has often arisen that conflicts result because a person percieves a message I sent to them in the wrong context, putting emotion into text, so its confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ilove words often times I will hear a word or phrase and it sticks in my head and I find myself saying it over and over sometimes to nauseum.I like legal words two words I am enjoying now are (criminal law) don't ask me why I just like the sound of the two words together.As far back as I can remember words have gotten stuck in my head it used to drive my ex husband crazy I would find new ways to use a word over and over.The phrase whatever is nasty and dismissing like whatever who cares it's rude. I only use it when someone says something unkind or thoughtless to me otherwise I don't use it.
    I have a term of endearment for my special person it's SMOOCHIE and my two German Shepherds have so many nicknames I sometimes tease and say they have an identity crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today a new word has been added to my vocabulary zeitgeist,what an amazing word and the meaning it has. I'm not going to post it look it up it's in our homework and what a wonderful flood of historical thought it provokes. Oh there's a context clue for you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I is interesting how words can stick with you. We are constantly learning new verbage. I use to always keep a dictionary next to me. When I heard a new word, I would look it up. However, dictionaries are extremely outdated. Then I started using the internet. My daughter and I sometimes have contests with words. She interprets one definition and I have another. It helps both of us learn new things.

    ReplyDelete